I don’t know about you, but I do love a traybake recipe. They’re just so convenient.
Usually a term that conjures up a big tasty cake cut up into little squares, I thought I’d co-opt the traybake concept for a savoury meal idea instead. Because savoury has my heart.
And, never one to go back on my word, I did promise you something truly delicious to make with last week’s Store Cupboard Muhammara (so if you’ve already polished off your first batch, it’s time to whip up another).
This Aubergine Muhammara Traybake scores points on so many levels! It’s:
- a one-tray recipe;
- really easy to put together;
- absolutely delicious;
- fuss-free; and
- you know, a bit of a crowd-pleaser.
Just look at those colours! This is such a pretty dish for summer, but I think it’ll take you right through Autumn, too. Think late September Saturday lunches in the garden, while the sun’s still shining and it’s getting to that time to start thinking about baked potatoes and apple pies.
But I digress! I need to calm my Autumn desires; it is only August, after all.
Back to the deliciousness….
There’s a really sunny collection of flavours in this recipe, which will hopefully bring to mind pictures and memories of lunch somewhere across the sea, east of England.
You’ll be savouring:
- garlicky-lemon aubergine (crisp and squishy);
- slightly zesty sweet potato;
- sweet, juicy cherries;
- bright, lively mint and fragrant coriander;
- fresh tomatoes; and
- a good hit of pepper and nuttiness from the muhammara.
Don’t you want to dive in straight away?
- 1 medium-large aubergine (eggplant)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Handful of fresh cherries, pitted
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 2-3 tbsp Store Cupboard Muhammara
- Heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
- Slice the sweet potatoes lengthways into chips, about ½-1cm wide. Put in a bowl and cover with cold water.
- Slice the aubergine lengthways into ½cm-wide strips.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. To this, add the minced garlic, 1 tbsp of the lemon juice, olive oil and oregano. Mix it together with a spoon, then add the aubergine strips. Roughly coat the aubergine, then arrange on the tray so the pieces are mostly skin-side up.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After this time, drain the sweet potatoes, sprinkle with the other 1 tbsp of lemon juice and add to the tray. Mix it all together, then make sure the aubergine and sweet potato slices aren't overlapping too much.
- Return to the oven for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Remove the tray from the oven and add the tomatoes, fresh herbs and dollops of the muhammara. Take to the table and serve!
And a free PDF guide to vegan London?