If you’re a fan of festive sweet treats, but are tempted by something a little different to the usual offerings, then these Boozy Mince Pie Brownies are for you! Enjoy a little Christmassy burst of naughtiness inside an altogether wholesome morsel.
These brownies hold the suggestion of a mince pie; in a good way. You still have a lovely mixture of plump fruits, a hint of citrus and spice and a sozzle of brandy; but all wrapped up in chocolatey, nutty, fudgy goodness. Whether you enjoy them with a cup of tea, glass of mulled wine or a dollop of whiskey cream is up to you.
When I was growing up, my Mum always made sure that there was a veritable procession of mince pies making its way forth from the oven some time before the big day was even in sight. They were crisp, with a not overly sweet filling and very moreish. Especially once we were a little older and noisily searched about in the kitchen after an excursion to the local pub on Christmas Eve.
So when I started making my own vegan mincemeat, I wanted to make something that drew inspiration from my Mum’s lovely recipe. But I also wanted to make something different, that wasn’t pastry-based and would satisfy the mince-pie-averting, chocolate-loving husband with whom I joyfully share my Christmases today.
And so was born the Christmas miracle that is these Boozy Mince Pie Brownies! They are:
- decadent, juicy, chocolatey, and nutty;
- festive (but not in-your-face-festive) with little bursts of brandy-soaked mincemeat;
- squidgy in the middle and a little crumbly on the outside;
- vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free;
- super easy to make, without even a bowl;
- a great alternative to traditional Christmas Day desserts.
They’re also a pretty great way to brighten up a dark afternoon spent working (but shh, don’t tell anyone).
- For blending
- 1 tin of black beans (400g / drained weight 240g)
- 6 dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted (about 20g)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
- Juice of ½ an orange
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- Pinch of good salt
- For mixing
- 4 tbsp vegan mincemeat
- For decorating
- 30g flaked almonds
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Drain and thoroughly rinse the beans.
- Place all of the ingredients except the vegan mincemeat and flaked almonds into a food processor and pulse until combined. The mixture should be smooth and light.
- Stir the mincemeat into the brownie mixture by hand.
- Pour the mixture into a parchment-lined tin and smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle the flaked almonds on top and press down lightly
- Place on the middle shelf of the oven and Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Leave to set for 15 minutes or so before removing from the tin.
- Once cooled, store in the fridge.
Ensure your baking powder is gluten-free if required.
This mixture fits a 26cm enamelware tin.
For more delicious Christmas sweet recipes: Gingerbread Stars, Cherry Brandy Chocolate Fudge, Chocolate Chestnut Torte.