If you’re caught wondering what to do with that bunch of over-ripe bananas, look no further. You are only one bowl, a handful of ingredients and a few minutes away from a delicious batch of Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins.
These Autumn-spiced treats are, in fact, perfect one-portion banana breads, each with a melted, gooey, chocolate centre.
So that’s your breakfast for the next week sorted.
Flavours of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, bound up with chewy, soft bananas and oats, with little hidden treats of melted chocolate and bursts of sour cherry make for one tasty morning morsel!
These muffins couldn’t be simpler, and are just so good. They are:
- a delightful taste of Autumn;
- light, yet chewy and satisfying;
- stirred-up and ready for the oven in under 10 minutes;
- perfect for breakfast, on the go, or with your mid-morning coffee;
- made from uncomplicated store-cupboard ingredients; and
- oil, egg and dairy free!
And that spoonful of chocolate? Well, I was the lucky recipient of a jar of unbelievably decadent Raw Activated Chocolate and Almond Spread on my birthday (thank you, husband!), and it works incredibly well as the gooey centre for these muffins. (And just as well eaten straight from the spoon.)
One of the great things about this recipe is that you can adapt it to your tastes. Feel free to leave out the chocolate, swap the cherries for something else, or just enjoy them as they are! You can’t really go wrong with a recipe this simple… You can even adjust it to suit how many bananas you have; I usually use four, but the batter works with just two – the result is a little less squidgy, but just as delicious.
Oh, and they also freeze really well, which I can tell you from experience is a breakfast-saver when you realise there’s nothing to eat in the fruit bowl and you don’t have time to find something that isn’t over-stuffed with sugar (or over-priced) on the way to work.
What’s your favourite breakfast muffin recipe?
- 120g rolled oats
- 4 bananas
- 30g dried sour cherries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vegan dark chocolate spread (or chocolate squares)
- Optional: oil for greasing the muffin tin, if needed
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Blitz the oats in a food processor until you have a flour (you can use flour if you don't have a food processor).
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until you have a smooth purée and stir in the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate spread/chocolate.
- Half-fill each muffin pocket with the muffin mixture, place ½ a tsp of the chocolate in the centre of each, then cover with the rest of the mix.
- Place on the top shelf of the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes.
If you love wholesome, simple-to-make breakfast recipes, check out this Peanut Butter Pie Granola, these Rosemary, Olive & Tomato Muffins and this Healthy Plum & Pecan Granola.