Blueberry Lemon Spelt Loaf. Is that a sweet, savoury loaf; or a savoury, sweet loaf?
Well, my friends, that is entirely up to you and your bread-as-cake or bread-as-toast preferences. But one of the great things about this recipe is that it works wonderfully well as both, so you can bake one loaf and enjoy it spread with peanut butter for your breakfast and then again with your afternoon coffee as a sweet treat.
Are you a baker of spelt? I really love it for its texture and nutty flavour, but also because it’s more nutritious and higher in protein than wholemeal, or other wheat, flour. It’s also high in B vitamins and fibre, making this ancient wholegrain a good all-round choice.
But aside from the spelt, there are lots of other delicious morsels in this bread. In delicate combination, the recipe includes:
- lemon zest; and
- poppy seeds.
This really is a lovely fruit bread, and the flavours work so well together. The freshness of the lemon zest and blueberries are balanced by clean-tasting rosemary; and the distinctive poppy seeds add a lovely additional savoury element.
If you’re a regular reader here, you’ll know by now that these are some of my favourite ingredients to combine in sweet and savoury ways! If you love bright flavours as much as I do, you might enjoy this Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake from early last year, or these Savoury Pumpkin Spice Muffins.
This is also a great recipe for anyone looking to start the year with some whole-food baking. It’s sugar-free and light on oil, and benefits from flour made from a whole grain – making this bread both delicious and virtuous!
Aside from eating a slice straight from the oven (which is absolutely delicious), it makes great sandwiches – how about an extra special TLT for the weekend?
But when you toast it? What a delight! Especially when spread with some mushroom pâté or cashew cheese.
This loaf is so light, soft (it’s almost creamy in texture) and versatile you really can enjoy it with anything your heart desires. I hope you love it!
- Dry Ingredients
- 300g spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of good salt
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- Zest of 1 unwaxed/organic lemon
- 80g fresh blueberries
- Wet Ingredients
- 210ml unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ a banana, mashed
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Combine the soy milk and lemon juice in a jug and put to one side.
- Sift the spelt flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the baking powder, salt, poppy seeds, rosemary, lemon zest and blueberries (being careful not to squash the berries).
- Using a fork, whisk together the soy milk, lemon juice, olive oil and mashed banana until you have a smooth mixture.
- Make a well in the middle of your flour mix and gently stir in the wet ingredients until all is combined.
- Pour into a parchment-lined or lightly oiled loaf tin and tap gently on a work surface to even out the mixture.
- Place on a middle shelf and cook for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once cooked, leave to cool in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week (or for longer, sliced, in the freezer).