With so many boxes and bags of mixed nuts around at this time of year these roasted nuts make a wonderful alternative snack for the holidays; as well as being a delicious but simple gift idea. Spiced with a gentle heat and coated in a wonderful concoction of maple, rosemary, orange and coconut, this vegan and refined sugar-free savoury treat will almost certainly be a crowd pleaser! This recipe is great for experimenting with, so you can make up your own flavour combinations to suit your guests or lucky gift recipients accordingly.
- 200g unsalted mixed nuts
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- zest of one orange
- 5g coconut oil (½ tsp solid oil)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 150°C / 300°F / Gas Mark 2).
- Place all of the ingredients on a sheet of parchment paper and scrunch it around the nuts until they are completely coated. The paper acts as a sort of bag, which means you won’t waste any of the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Flatten the paper out again onto a tray with the nuts spread out in one layer. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, stirring half way through to ensure even cooking.
- Leave to cool (if you can resist the temptation to eat them at once!) and store in an airtight container, or in gift jars.
This post is part of A Vegan Holiday, a collaboration among vegan and veg-friendly bloggers. Follow along on social media with #AVeganHoliday. Want to learn more or become a contributor? Find out more here or here.